- The Gouffier estate has been in existence for nearly 200 years, albeit under a variety of names.
- After working with Jerome Gouffier off and on since childhood, Frédéric Gueugneau assumed control of the estate in 2011 after Gouffier’s death. He now works with partner Benoit Pagot.
- Frédéric drew from his experience at La Chablisienne to improve the property, also instituting organic farming practices.
- All these Côte Chalonnaise expressions are aged in wood from Doreau Tonneliers, and every effort is made to ensure the perfect match between barrel and wine.
- The attention to detail is apparent throughout the portfolio, as Frédéric and Benoit bring a level of perfectionism to each of their cuvées.
When Frédéric Gueugneau was growing up in the village of Fontaines, he would often work at the Gouffier estate under the direction of Jerome Gouffier. Years later, when Jerome fell ill, Frédéric came home once again to lend a helping hand by managing the day-to-day operations of the estate. When his elder neighbor passed away, Frédéric was asked by the Gouffier family to assume control of the domaine in 2011.
The nearly 200-year old estate had been through several name changes throughout its history but had always remained a part of the extended Gouffier lineage. The property is rich with history, as evidenced by its stunning, stone-domed cellar, which had once served as a bunker in the time of Napoleon Bonaparte.
With five and a half hectares spread across eight appellations, the domaine needed a fresh start. Frédéric, who had worked previously at La Chabliesienne for eight years, took about the task of reinvigorating the vines of Gouffier by instituting organic farming practices. While there are no vineyards in Fontaines – which sits between the villages of Mercurey and Rully – the varied sites throughout the area allow Frédéric and his partner, Benoit Pagot, to offer several expressions of Côte Chalonnaise. The estate contracts a single cooper – Doreau Tonneliers of Cognac – with Thierry Doreau making several trips to aid Frédéric and Benoit in finding the perfect match between barrel and wine. In fact, nearly 20% of the wood used to make the barrels used in the cellar comes from the forest just beyond the property’s walls.
Recent vintages of Gouffier have reflected their intelligent approach, demonstrating perfect balance and flawless integration, resulting in wines of energy and precision that have garnered attention and accolades in France.
Martine’s Wines is the exclusive U.S. importer for Gouffier.
Showing all 10 results