- One of the estates in the remarkable portfolio of Julie and Xavier Médeville, Gonet-Médeville is a salute to Xavier’s Champagne lineage.
- The property is a selection of 1er and Grand Cru vineyards from the Médeville family’s extensive holdings.
- The plots in 1er Cru Bisseuil, Grand Cru Ambonnay, and Grand Cru Mesnil-Sur-Oger are all farmed organically.
- Work in the cellar is meticulous and natural, with no chaptalization, malolactic fermentation, or fining and minimal dosage.
- As part of the group Les Artisans du Champagne, Gonet-Médeville is part of an grower producer movement in the appellation, and they are fully hands on in all aspects of production.
In many ways, Julie and Xavier Gonet-Médeville are the first couple of French wines. Both hail from storied winemaking families: Julie’s family is famous for its incomparable Château Gilette, and Xavier comes from a long line of Champagne growers in Le Mesnil. Leading a new generation of winemakers, they bring their family knowledge, methods, and passion to the many wines they now make together.
In 2000, when his family’s plots in Champagne were being divided, Xavier opted for a modest collection of the highest quality 1er and Grand Cru vineyards with a goal of producing only the most exquisite, small-production Champagnes. Champagne Gonet-Médeville’s Pinot Noir (1er Cru Bisseuil and Grand Cru Ambonnay) and Chardonnay (Grand Cru Mesnil-Sur-Oger) are farmed organically, and each parcel is vinified separately to emphasize its individual terroir. There is no chaptalization, malolactic fermentation, or fining, and dosage is minute. The wines are matured for a minimum of two years before release.
Gonet-Médeville is part of the group Les Artisans du Champagne, which prides itself on uniting work in the vineyard with work in the cellar. As Julie and Xavier themselves say, “being Champagne Artisans expresses our total involvement in all stages the production of our Champagnes. From growing practices to the choice of plant material, from harvest to disgorging, we come in and create living Champagnes reflecting our knowledge and culture.” The resulting wines are elegant, delicate, festive, and easy to drink.
Martine’s Wines is the exclusive U.S. importer for Gonet-Médeville except in DC, MA, MD, NJ, NY and VA.
Showing all 8 results