- Bernard Burgaud produces only one wine, their Côte Rôtie, that comes from several lieux-dits, including Côte Blonde, Champin, Leyat, Fongeant, Les Moutonnes and Brosse.
- Though tradition is honored at this estate, innovation is still a part of the picture, with current vigneron Pierre Burgaud focused on reducing carbon output and taking proactive precautions against climate change.
- In a nod to the estate’s blend of traditional and modern techniques, the vineyards carry the Haute Valeur Environnementale (HVE) sustainability certification.
- The wine is 100% Syrah (with no Viognier planted in the vineyards) and the grapes are entirely destemmed. Aging is in mainly used barrels.
- Burgaud’s wines show a self-possessed elegance, eschewing showiness and flash for a harmonious and sincere reflection of Côte Rôtie.
Bernard Burgaud is one of the more understated producers of the Côte-Rôtie appellation, making just one wine from 100% Syrah. After inheriting the family business from his father in 1980, Bernard began bottling his wine in 1982. As of 2019, his son Pierre continues the family’s legacy as the winemaker for the domaine.
Perched atop a steep hill overlooking Ampuis, they produce 1,000 cases a year from nine hectares of vines planted in several lieux-dits in the appellation, the majority from the Les Moutonnes and Côte Blonde vineyards. Resisting the trend towards bottling individual plots, it has long been the belief that is utilizing all the terroirs in just one wine results in a more complete and balanced wine. Their vineyards in the Côte Brune provide power and muscularity, and those in the Côte Blonde bring finesse and elegance.
In a nod to the estate’s blend of traditional and modern techniques, the vineyards carry the Haute Valeur Environnementale (HVE) sustainability certification. Grapes are vinified without stems, and the wines age in 20% new barriques for 15 months. These classic, well-balanced wines taste of black fruit and olives with earthy and rustic flavors. They are meant to be aged, developing into elegant wines.
With Pierre’s ascension to head of the estate, he brings a fresh new perspective, interrogating his father’s practices while also respecting his traditions. This is a hidden gem of a winery that’s run by a steady hand and represents the soul of the region.
Martine’s Wines is the exclusive U.S. importer for Bernard Burgaud.
No products were found matching your selection.